Ever wonder how you get those loose, beachy-looking curls that look so effortless but so refined at the same time? Today I’m taking you through my step-by-step hair tutorial on how I get my curls and share which products will get you there!
1. First things first: the products: start with Moroccan Oil Curl Defining Cream; run a dollop of this miracle worker into damp hair for instant anti-frizz and definition. I usually let my hair air dry to prevent heat damage and breakage and this cream keeps all my hair craziness in check.
2. Next, grab my latest obsession: Living Proof’s Full Thickening Cream. This can be applied to either wet or dry hair and it gives your strands great volume and will help your curls hold. On days when my hair is flat and lifeless, a pump of this cream gives it instant volume and brings it back to life. Uh-mazing!
3. The most important part of this process will be your curler! I use the GHD Curve Classic Wave Wand which is absolutely life changing!! Heats up in 8 seconds and creates big and dynamic curls that actually last throughout the day. This wand is completely worth the investment and creates shiny, healthy looking curls with snag-free technology you can’t find anywhere else.
4. Let’s get curling: once you have clean, dry hair, divide into two parts. Start with a piece closest to your face about an inch wide.
5. When you wrap this piece around the wand, point the tip of the wand to the floor and curl your hair away from your face. Leave about an inch of hair at the bottom of the curl that will not touch the wand (this will avoid looking “Shirley Temple” curly).
6. Continue with the next section of hair and repeat this process. For a more dynamic and messy look, alternate which direction you are curling the hair around the wand (ex. first piece curled away from your face, next piece curled towards your face).
7. Once you have finished one side, start on the other! Remember to always start the first section of hair wrapping away from your face.
8. When you have curled this entire bottom section, grab your favorite hairspray and set your curls (I’ve tried a million and this Moroccan Oil Luminous Hairspray is fantastic; it holds for hours, isn’t crunchy, and gives your hair flexibility and bounce).
9. Begin with the top portion of your hair and simply repeat the process! With the two pieces that frame your face, wrap them one less time around the wand than the rest of your hair; when curls are too tight around your face, you loose the “easy breezy” look we’re going for (ex: I usually wrap strands 3 times around the wand, and only twice on pieces framing my face)
10. Continue curling until you’re all done! Spray this top layer with hair spray to set these beauties, and you’re good to go! *for looser and messier curls, grab the bottom of each curl with one hand and using your thumb and pointer finger on your other hand, simply rub your fingers together inside the curl and separate the hair.
11. For a final touch, grab some dry shampoo (I love this R + Co “Death Valley Dry Shampoo” one; described as “not your granny’s dry shampoo” ha!) and spray a few spritzes at your roots. This will give your roots a little bit of lift and texture and eliminate any oils that will loosen your curls.
Voila! Give your head a little dip and shake for a messier version or keep them smooth and sleek like I have here. Questions? Send them my way!